Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 11:03:42 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        Matija Matijevac <mmat@twister.zrs.hr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More PTYs on FreeBSD 4.0

In message <20000523161607.B95389@albury.net.au>, Nick Slager wrote:
} > I'm new in BSD, and I'm using FreeBSD 4.0
} > I have a lot of users on my computer, so, if they all
} > run screen, i don't have enough pty's, and i get a message
} > "Not enough PTYs".
} > How to correct the problem?
} >
}
} You'll need to recompile your kernel, paying attention to:
}
} pseudo-device   pty	16

Your message was correct, except that part.  In 4.0, the number of ptys
is dynamic, so you actually just have

pseudo-device	pty

in your config file.  All you need to do to "add more" is to make sure the
entries exist in /dev, then use them.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com