Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:36:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
Cc:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dropped connections (fwd)

ee does the same. The reason is that the program does not check for EOF
on stdin, it continuously loops. It's a bug in the program. The thing
that could have been changed is a signal from the shell that is no
longer sent or so.

The problem is the program, not the OS.

It might be wortwhile to find the problem, solve and send the patch to
the maintainer of the port and the original author.

Nick

 > > hi, there!
 > >
 > > after upgrade to 3.2-STABLE from 2.2.8-STABLE we are experiencing problems
 > > with closed telnet sessions. If a user drops connection (closes telnet
 > > on his workstation without logging off) pdmenu, midnight commander and
 > > other programs eat up all the CPU (99% CPU usage as reported by top)
 > > Is there anything that changed between 2.x and 3.x and can cause
 > > this affect? Is there any workaround? Please reply directly as I am not
 > > subscribed
 > >
 > > /fjoe
 > >

 > That happens to me when I have some user interface that is
 > reading user input from stdin. The user nukes his telnet
 > session ungracefully and whatever is reading from stdin then
 > gets fed info something like "not a tty" or some other message
 > it does not consider valid input. It falls into a loop
 > to process the input, can't make sense of it, so loops back for
 > more user input, and gets the same message  -- it repeats
 > ad infinitum and is a bummer.
 >
 > -
 >
 > Barrett

ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy