Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 17:29:23 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: LINT and GENERIC - between a rock and a generic place.

From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>More and more people are trying to use GENERIC as a template for
their
>own kernels and they're losing, of course, because generic sets
many
>limits (like max children or open files) too low.

Been there, it was rather rough the first couple times I tried
building a kernel, but now, on the rare occasions I do build a
kernel, I have a web broser open with the handbook loaded up.  Just a
step-by-step process.

>Unfortunately, every time this issue has come up in the past it's
also
>followed a rather set course, in 3 distinct stages:

[stage descritptions gone away]

>Meanwhile, of course, the users continue to use GENERIC (or worse,
>LINT) as their only available guides and they continue to walk off
>cliffs, year after year.
>
>How shall we conduct the debate this time?  Same old same old, or
>something genuinely productive? :-)

A user's perspective:

After using FreeBSD for about a year, both at home and at work, it's
perks and styles are slowly becoming second nature to me, but...

as a first step, I like the idea of having some canned config files
for people to work off of.  It would have made it a lot easier when I
first started out.  I spent 2 years working with linux, and was
almost totally lost when it came time to build my first FreeBSD
kernel.

After spending 2 years with Linux's make config, and make xconfig, I
had grown accustomed to it.  I would like to see a configuration
script along those lines, with some preset configurations to work
from.  Though I probably wouldn't use it except on the off chance I
installed a new box that had a radically different hardware config
than any of the others I'm currently maintaining.

Just my $.03 (inflation ya know :^)
--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services