Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:43:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Rick Updegrove <freebsdstable@updegrove.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Proliant 5000 SMP won't boot

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Rick Updegrove wrote:

> I am attempting to get SMP working on this Compaq Proliant 5000 with
> FreeBSD 4.9 STABLE but it stops booting at

Whoa, this thing is *old*.  Its a dual ppro.

> "Programming 28 pins in IOAPIC #1"
>
> I have included dmesg, the stable-supfile and the SMP kernel conf file
> here:  http://12.246.251.12

BIOS update?

can you try rolling backwards until you can get a working system?

> The SMP file has the following lines commented out so I could get it
> booted again.  If I uncomment them and recompile it won't boot : (

I suspect your machine has braindamaged SMP and won't ever work in that
configuration due to its age. Not sure if someone wants to fix a 7 year
old system that takes 6 hours to buildworld :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org