Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:25:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Pelletier <mikep@compar.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Mike Pelletier <mike@compar.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd -> Cisco

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Doug White wrote:

> > Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x90 <mru 1600>
> > <asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap>]
>
> Okay, here you've asked for PAP authentication ...

    Are you certain you haven't got your roles reversed?  I think I
received this.  I am faily certain, because no matter how I chance my
options (ie, if I select mry 1500 or refuse-pap) this packet is unchanged.
Also, the things I do select show up on the 'send' lines first.

> > Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x41 <mru 1600>
> > <asyncmap 0x0>]
> > Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x90 <auth chap
> > 05>]
>
> .. and the Cisco says `no, I don't want CHAP'.  But...

    Does that mean I _don't_ want CHAP?  That is not nearly what I am
trying to do.

> the original information is okay, without PAP.
> You two appear to be happy now.

    But authentication was never agreed on.

> Bad password?

    No authentication packets are exchanged.  When I turn off refuse-pap,
I send PAP packets, but they seem to cause the remote router to drop
connection.

Mike.