Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:52:42 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Louis" <stlouislouis@charter.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about xfree86 version and FreeBSD

On Monday 18 March 2002 10:58 pm, Louis wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I can't find the answer to this question in your docs:
|
| What version of your software includes xfree86 4.1.0 or higher as the
| default version of xfree86 available during install?

Alas, none.

|  I use a Matrox G450.
| I was not able to get xfree86 installed on my system post-install.

We might be able to help you with that.  What happened?

(The first secret is: do the base install *without* X but pick X4 from the
packages list when you install.  The second secret is: don't bother trying to
configure your card the usual way -- just search Linux for Laptops and find a
working config file.  Or at least do this if "X --configure" doesn't do it
for you.)

| I'm a newbie.  For some reason, the cvsup without gui package I downloaded
| via ftp and installed with pkg_add after my 4.5 release install doesn't
| seem to work either.

You could try building it from ports instead.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org