Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:00:42 -0500
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD Stable Listserv <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: printcap question

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 04:02:20PM -0500, Douglas G. Allen wrote:
> David,
>
> >Yes.  The bare IP address might work, but as noted, I don't do that.
>
> I have people telling me it should, but it's not any
> real problem to make another entry in /etc/hosts to
> cover myself (and the printer).
>
> >Or you can think of the networked printer as being an incredibly simple
> >"host" that has a fancy printer attached.  :-}
>
> True.
>
> >(Fair warning:  I suspect that HP's implementation of lpd leaves a lot
> >to be desired, such as the ability to queue requests.)
>
> But if they say a printer is lpd compatible, then I would
> at least expect it to understand the information sent to it
> by lpd.  My guess is that it won't queue requests, unless it
> has a drive of some sort in it, other than on the machine
> that asks for the print job.  Very much like a Windoze
> client does with the same printer(s).

The HPs we use here are all networked; the lpd implementation
works just dandy. I wish I could say that about _all_ the
printers we use here.

I have, BTW, seen diskless printers that will queue jobs up to
the size of their queue memory, as distinct from their image
memory.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx