Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:42:06 -0800
From:      Owner of many system processes <william@hq.newdream.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (WOT) Re: the best edited picture ever

Colin Faber wrote:

> I notice almost on a daily bases (which im sure the rest of you have
> also) SPAM on both this list and on the bugs list. Totally unrelated
> to the freebsd project..
>
> Solutions suggested on how to correct such problems though the worst
> thing that I can think of happening is nothing being done at all.

the lengthy discussions regarding these problems everytime another spam,
virus, or autoresponse from someone's misconfigured virus scanner get
pretty annoying too.  i realize i'm contributing to the noise by
furthering this discussion, but i do think that stripping out binary
attachments to the list except for pgp/MIME signatures would be a Good
Thing.  moderating the list would also be nice, although as someone
mentioned, perhaps not appropriate for such a forum.

closing the list to off-list subscribers seems to be the simplest
option, and while it might be annoying, there could be some sort of
alternate method of allowing people to post to the list (maybe a web
form for non-subscribers or something)?  freebsd-questions is also
non-moderated, so perhaps it would be ok to simply close this list to
off-list subscribers entirely?

--
William Yardley                   System Administrator, Newdream Network
william@hq.newdream.net         http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/gpg.asc