Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:28:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Scott dodson <gsi22419@gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solution for distributing CVS server load?

(Short plug, but it's a purely open source (BSD-licensed) project so I
don't feel too guilty):

"Subversion" (http://subversion.tigris.org/) is a version control system
being developed that aims to fix some of the long-standing issues with
CVS while staying true to what makes CVS useful for many people.  One of
those is the fact that CVS had client-server implemented as an
afterthought; Subversion uses the DAV protocol over HTTP, and one of the
many side benefits of doing that is (if we respect HTTP semantics
right) we get cacheability for "free".  So if your company or ISP uses an
HTTP caching proxy, multiple users behind it will benefit.  There's also
the intriguing idea of using a service like Akamai to distribute the
repository.

Anyways, we're progressing towards a 1.0, and we could use help from
anyone clueful who's interested in this topic.  The above URL contains
pointers to the development lists.

	Brian