Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:58:22 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jonathan Pennington <john@coastalgeology.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jpilot/PilotManager...?

Jonathan Pennington <john@coastalgeology.org> types:
> Does anyone using 4.2 or -STABLE have Jpilot or PilotManager working?
> I'm having problems with both and could use a hand. I have
> FreeBSD-STABLE (cvsup'd about 3 weeks ago), and a Handspring Visor
> Deluxe with USB cradle. I have Coldsync working, but wanted to *try* a
> graphical solution. Both Jpilot and PilotManager look like like
> nice GUIs, I think I'd be happy with either excep for the following
> problems:

Well, just to clear up one possible problem - I'm currently using the
latest version of jpilot on -STALBE, and it works fine with a serial
connection. I've been thinking about trying to get it to work on USB,
but I want a USB cradle, not just a USB<->serial converter (though I'm
thinking about trying that - so let me know how it works out!)

> Jpilot:
> Says to press the HotSync butten, then complains about
> "pi_bind Device not configured \n Check your serial port and settings
> \n exiting with status - 10". This happens with device set to
> /dev/ugen0, /dev/ugen0.x and /dev/visor (symlinked). If someone has a
> USB Visor with Jpilot, is there a specific setting I need to change
> for USB?

USB devices are hot-swappable, and according to the jpilot sources,
"The USB device doesn't exist until the cradle is pressed". I vaguely
recall people mentioning problems related to this on the pilot-unix
list. If you haven't, enable usbd (add 'usbd_enable="YES"' to
/etc/rc.conf). That should cause the device to be configured when you
press the sync button on the cradle, which is what's missing.

> PilotManager:
> This might be easier. The perl module (PDA::Pilot, specifically) does
> not seem to "work." There's no port, so I grabbed the basic package
> from the website. There is also a "small" package, but they contain
> pre-compiled modules for specific systems, and I cannot make them
> work. If anyone has PilotManager working (with a USB cradle), how did
> you install it.

I don't know if pilotmanager has USB support, but if it does, it'll
still have the same problems anyway.

In either case, you should be able to use usbd.conf to set things up
so that pressing the Hotsync button on the cradle launches a
sync/backup.

	<mike