Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:38:52 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native phoenix, konqueror slow in resolving some hostnames

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

On 2003.03.22 15:23:10 -0500, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> I find that two native graphical browsers on my system, phoenix
> and konqueror, both have problems on some sites -- specifically,
> sites which reference ad.*.doubleclick.net (I'm not sure whether all
> such sites are affected).
It could be the problem with some nameservers never answering queries
for IPv6 records (aaaa). mozilla (and therefore phoenix I would guess)
try to look up IPv6 adresses of hosts if the OS has IPv6 support. I
don't know how to fix it but workarounds are to remove INET6 from your
kernel or using a proxy server (which then does the resolving IPv4
only).

You can reproduce the problem with the hosts program... :
$ host -t a ad.doubleclick.net
works ok, but=20
$ host -t aaaa ad.doubleclick.net
just hangs.

> While it's trying to resolve ad.doubleclick.net, phoenix is unable to
> resolve anything else, even sites it can normally resolve immediately.
> Konqueror has no such problem -- it can resolve something else while
> waiting on ad.doubleclick.net.
It think that is due to the way mozilla/phoenix handles DNS which is
not very good when a DNS server does not respond.

> cache locally (djbdns) doesn't help either.  Lynx works fine on all
> sites, presumably because it doesn't follow those doubleclick.net
> links.  Linux-mozilla also works fine, perhaps because it uses the
> glibc resolver? =20
lynx by default (AFAIK) does not have ipv6 support and I would guess (I
have not checked) that either the linux emulation or the glibc resolver
does not support IPv6.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4