Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 12:25:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Campbell <brianc@ottawa.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Subject:   Re: DOS root directory?

> Robert Nordier stands accused of saying:
> > Uhm, actually it doesn't indicate use of FIPS (which wouldn't affect
> > the cluster or root directory size).
>
> Hmm, I've only seen this warning reported by people who'd used FIPS to
> shrink DOS filesystems across a cluster-size boundary.  I don't have
> any DOS filesystems that big, so I've never seen it myself.  Thanks
> for the clarification.
>
> > Robert Nordier
>
> (geez, my accuracy ratio has fallen right off.  time to be quiet for a
> while 8)

Well, I *considered* using FIPS, if that counts  ;-)

I ended up using partition magic to shrink my 512M DOS partition
by 32M so that FreeBSD's root partition could be booted by the BIOS.

I've only been using DOS as an intermediate holding space for moving
stuff between operating systems.  Nothing appears to have been
corrupted so far.  Is there a "fix" I can apply to the DOS filesystem
to make this warning, and the possibility of corruption, go away?

[I'm guessing this problem is due to the way clusters are located
starting from after the number of sectors used for the FAT tables
and root directory, and the possibility that the "slop" due to the
root directory size might affect the way msdosfs (or mcopy) calculates
cluster numbers?]