Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:07:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        missmanp@milo.cfw.com (Paul Missman)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X-Windows and Mouse Initialization

Paul Missman asked:
> I now have the mouse on /dev/cuaa1, and in X-Windows on /dev/sysmouse.  I
> called Logitech, and they assured my that my mouse supports only the
> standard microsoft protocol, and nothing else, and that it is a 1200 baud,
> X-on/off device.
>
> The system is at a point now where I can bring up X-Windows successfully.
> However the mouse acts in an entirely spastic manner.  It always returns to
> the upper left of the screen immediately, and isn't acting in any reasonable
> fashion, but it is acting (up). ;o)

*WHICH* standard microsoft protocol?  There are several mentioned in
the XF86Setup program.  All of the Logitech mice I have here, which
include the M9 2-button, the M37 3-button, and the TrackMan Marble
3-button trackball all work fine with the protocol set to PS/2:

	Section "Pointer"
	   Protocol        "PS/2"
	   Device          "/dev/mouse"
	EndSection

> Do I have to set the baud rate in other than the /etc/rc.conf and
> /etc/XF86Config files?  Anyone else had this problem?  (BTW, the mouse runs
> fine under Win95.)

I believe the X server explicitly sets the mouse baud rate when it
opens the port, if you need to change it, you'll have to change the
XF86Config file entry.  The standard entry should work.  I let XF86Setup
make the /dev/mouse symlink for me:

	bash$ ls -l /dev/mouse
	lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9 Apr  9 09:32 /dev/mouse -> /dev/psm0

> P.S.  For reference, if any of you need tech support at Logitech, their
> number is 702-269-3457.

You say UNIX, they say "Huh?" right?  ;^)