Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:41:22 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Greg Troxel <gdt@fnord.ir.bbn.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless base stations

Greg,

Setting up a large facility for 802.11b can be a very complex
task. It's not as simple as to "set them to different channels".

First, channels overlap and you can use no more than three different
channels of those available in the US in a network where there is to
be hand-offs.

Beyond that, the radiation pattern is omni-directional.  That means
that they MAY radiate up and down to adjacent floors. But, if there is
enough metal in the floors (and there often is), there may not be. But
you really need to check. Even on a single floor, beams and ducts can
cast shadows that create dead zones. It can be frustrating.

For hand-offs to work, you need all of the access points in a single
collision domain. That may be difficult to do in a large building.

This is not meant as a tutorial on large wireless network
installation. It's more of a warning that you need to carefully read
the documentation and then talk to someone knowledgeable in the
area. (The documentation with low-end products is often weak.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)