Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:40:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Seth Hunter <seth@hunnr.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   internal IDE Zip 100 problems

I've been tracking 4-stable now with cvsup every weekend now for a couple
months, and have yet to find any relevant information on how to get my
internal IDE Iomega Zip 100 drive working properly.

When I attempt to mount the drive, I get the following error:

[root@athlon /etc]$ mount /mnt/zip
msdos: /dev/afd0s4: Input/output error

And the following error pops up in my messages log:

Dec 23 15:19:23 athlon /kernel: afd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
Dec 23 15:19:23 athlon /kernel: ata2: resetting devices .. ata2-slave:
timeout waiting for command=ef s=11 e=04
Dec 23 15:19:23 athlon /kernel: done

I've tried many fstab and kernel configurations and haven't found one yet
that has worked.  This drive is alone on a Promise Ultra66 controller, and
works fine under win2k.

For reference, here is my fstab entry for the drive:

/dev/afd0s4             /mnt/zip        msdos   rw,noauto       0       0

And the fdisk report on the drive:

[root@athlon /etc]$ fdisk /dev/afd0
******* Working on device /dev/afd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
    start 32, size 196576 (95 Meg), flag 80 (active)
	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
	end: cyl 95/ sector 32/ head 63

Any help would be greatly appreciated!