Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:31:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Subject:   Re: SUN TO BSD

At Mon, 5 Mar 2001 it looks like Bill Moran composed:

wmoran->Marc W wrote:
wmoran->>
wmoran->>
wmoran->>     It actually shouldn't be that hard to write a script to convert all
wmoran->> the information-- except for the passwords themselves -- The encrypted
wmoran->> version of a password that I have same across my Solaris 8 and FreeBSD
wmoran->> 4.2 machines aren't the same.
wmoran->>
wmoran->>     No idea how you'd convert those ... :(
wmoran->
wmoran->I believe this has to do with the system default password encryption
wmoran->scheme. If both your Solaris & FreeBSD boxes are using the same
wmoran->encryption scheme you should see the same encryped password. I've seen
wmoran->informatin on how to change this, but I don't exactly remember how. I
wmoran->think this is probably important to making NIS work anyway, since
wmoran->exported password lists won't work unless the NIS client & NIS server
wmoran->are using the same encryption scheme. (feel free to correct me if I'm
wmoran->wrong).
wmoran->
wmoran->-Bill

................. There is a GNU tool/command called "pwconv" and
"pwunconv" to convert and reverse shadow passwords. That may provide
a starting point if there is a similar tool in Solaris / BSD

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076                 -o)