Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 10:38:18 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Bob Vaughan <techie@tantivy.stanford.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

> > I don't expect to be talked down to like a schoolboy, especially when I
> > have been doing everything that it was suggested I do.
>
> So you've been reading the commit messages, then?  I'm sure many people
> have recommended this before.  Seriously; if you really want 100%
> coverage, you have to watch *everything*.

To be fair, I've never seen reading the commit logs listed
as a requirement for running stable. Not announcing changes
that break stuff makes a nonsense of telling people they should
subscribe to -stable before running -stable. Why bother when
you're just going to be told to read the commit logs and diffs?

(I do read the diffs - but I don't consider it reasonable that
everyone should have to - people ftping CTM deltas don't even
get the commit logs).

As you say, for 100% coverage read everything available. OTOH
a message to -stable wouldn't have gone amis. If someone forgot
to post this message fine - but it seems unfair to move the
goal posts and tell people it was completly their fault for
not reading every available bit of info.

	David.