Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 2000 00:29:18 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        lioux@uol.com.br
Cc:        Bush Doctor <dervish@goku.cl.msu.edu>, FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports/devel/codecrusader Makefile Fixes

lioux@uol.com.br wrote:

> > Here is what I have had to do to make Code Crusader 1.5.3 build as a
> > port.
>
> Well, can I package your insights and send in a patch till sunday? Is
> that okay with you?

It is all right with me but I'm not the maintainer I just was
interested in using it. I had been stopped by the Makefile line 172
error until I saw PR 15481 and the patch-ac fix jumped out at me. That
lets the port make work on both 3.4 and 4.0.

> However, I am trying a different approach. I am building separate
> ports for the latest ACE and JX. Besides, I am considering writing
> additional ports for each lib written with the jx x11-toolkits, if
> that can be acomplished.

I think that ACE needs to be done separately. At least there are
advantages in having a separate version. The main advantage being that
they are using version 5.0.2 in Code Crusader but the latest version
on Schmidt's site is 5.1. The dialog on comp.soft-sys.ace is mostly on
5.1. I don't know about the others. It depends on the packaging from
Lindal and New Planet Sotware (NPS). I think it will be difficult to
split something out when the tarballs from NPS have everything
included. Creating a new package(s) would be conterproductive if
someone does a "pkg_version -c" and finds out that codecrusader.2.1.5
is out and then, in a clueless moment, does a make, pkg_delete -f
codecrusader-2.1.4, and make install, which removes your work. The
libraries and such are all links to the equivalent files in your
JX-1.5.3 tree.

> This way I will be able to keep the latest libraries available without
> touching codecrusader. Furthermore, this will enable other JX and ACE
> dependent ports to be easily built. This might get done real soon if
> everybody keeps working this fast. :)

I wasn't going to upgrade my main FreeBSD system to 4.x until I had
the ability to build codecrusader. I hate figuring out what is
required on the current setup and then have to change the mental
working dictionary when I use the older system. The first build
required an awesome amount of wall clock time. Once that was done, a
library could be upgraded with out doing too much to the current
setup. The make only builds what is out of date and it looks at each
library. Some of their stuff is in CVS and with a little work, you
could stay up todate that way.

The other thing is to get ctags working. Right now, I want to learn
how to take my diff's and create a patch. I have some reading to do.
That comes first :).

Regards,

Kent

> --
> regards, mferreira

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html