Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:22:08 +0100
From:      jcr <jcr@canuck.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting an iPod as an external HDD

Joshua Lewis wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>How do I mount a USB external drive? I know how to mount other devices but
>I don't know how to mount a USB device.
>
>I have an iPod that I have been using as an external backup drive for my
>PC and MAC. I was wondering how I would mount the iPod on my FreeBSD
>system so I can move my TLS certificates off of it on to my production
>mail server.
>
>I would be using USB 2.0 and it is the only USB device. I believe the iPod
>has two slices. One slice for the iPod OS and one slice for my data. I
>have a custom kernel with OHCI and UHCI USB controllers compiled in as
>well as the md, da, and sa drivers compiled in. If I missed anything in
>the compile I can recompile the kernel tonight.
>
>Thanks for any advice in advance.
>
>Joshua Lewis

Hi Joshua,

There are a few kernel devices required for USB drives.

device          umass         # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ehci             # usb2 'hi=speed' support
**
ehci is optional, otherwise you will get 12Mbps 'full speed' mode

Rgds
--
</jcr>