Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 18:47:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building the world without NIS

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Ollivier Robert
had to walk into mine and say:

> I run an [almost] UUCP-only machine, with only a few local users. I'd like
> to get smaller libs and binaries by taking the NIS code out of the system.

You really want to go to all that trouble to save a few hundred K-bytes
off a multi-megabyte installation?

> Is it still impossible ?

Where did you get the idea that it's impossible?

> Could it be made possible ?

It already is possible. Just remove the -DYP from the Makefiles for
libc, passwd(1) and chpass(1), and take all the NIS programs out of the
Makefiles for /usr/sbin (ypserv, yppush, rpc.ypxfrd, rpc.yppasswdd,
ypbind, yp_mkdb), /usr/bin (ypset, ypcat, yppoll, ypset) and /usr/libexec
(ypxfr, mknetid, revnetgroup). Note that you must disable the compilation
of the NIS programs if you disable NIS support in libc; with the exception
of mknetid and revnetgroup, they all depend on the NIS code in libc in
one way or another.

> BTW OpenBSD is buildable without any NIS code, I saw it on the WWW site...

Don't try to lay any guilt trip on me, pal. You want to build without
NIS, just edit the Makefiles accordingly; you saw that right here.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."