Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:19:56 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2: PS2 mouse disappears when switched through KVM switch-box

Chris Shenton (cshenton@OutBounderInc.com) wrote:

> When I switch between FreeBSD-4.2-STABLE/RELEASE the mouse becomes
> inoperative.  The "moused" man page indicates that you can get it back
> by sending it a HUP, and this works -- assuming your dead mouse is in
> a window you can type in :-(

Can't you ALT-TAB to an active XTerm?

> I'd prefer not to spend big bucks on a digital KVM, but if I do, would
> it solve this problem? A search of Questions/Hackers indicates there
> are some current problems with digital KVMs and FreeBSD that do not
> occur with other inferior OSes...

I've got a cheap Linksys KVM, and it seems to work pretty well with
FreeBSD. At least, if a power-outage hits your KVM and your mouse dies,
you can restart moused. I've found it more problematic with WindowsNT to
restart the mouse if it dies, primarily because you can't 'restart' a
driver, you need to start it and then stop it. Since the ps/2 mouse and
keyboard are driven by the same driver, you can stop the ps/2 mouse/kbd
driver, but I'm not sure how you'd start it again...

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105