Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 21:23:49 +0200
From:      Peter Hollaubek <fifteen@inext.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw limit

Greetings,

I've been using the limit feature in ipfw, and has some notices, and suggestions
about it. First, there seems to be seme problem with the handling of parent rules,
and ipfw just gives the error message 'OUCH! cannot remove rule, count 1', and
such. In the source it says it's a case that should never happen, and I have also
found a PR with a patch fixing it. Is there any reason it was not commited, or at
least commented by the one responsible for ipfw? Seems to be pretty disturbing
on high traffic load machines.
My other question/suggestion is about the default message ipfw gives, when
the limit is exceeded. Could it be turned off somehow, or be a bit more informative?
Some thousands of 'drop session, too many entries' lines in the log does not
make too much sense for me.

Thank you in advance:

Peter Hollaubek