Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2013 23:39:04 +0100
From:      Paul Chakravarti <paul.chakravarti@gmail.com>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OVH KS-2G Random Reboots [FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p6]

<paul.chakravarti@gmail.com>:
>=20
>>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I was wondering if anyone else is having reboot issues running =
FreeBSD 9.1 on the OVH KS-2G low-cost dedicated servers (amazingly cheap =
at =A32.49/month - see =
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml).=20
>>=20
>> I am running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p6 and am getting multiple random =
reboots daily (sometimes hours apart, sometimes minutes).
>>=20
>> Unfortunately there is no evidence anywhere on the system of the =
cause of these, in particular nothing at all in logs other then the =
kernel coming back up and nothing in /var/crash (I do have dumpdev=3DAUTO =
in rc.conf).=20
>>=20
>> I am running the standard kernel updated by 'freebsd-update' and have =
removed the OVH RTM stuff. There is no particular load on the system at =
the time.
>>=20
>> I suspect that it might be a hardware issue however have tried =
extended runs (upto 8 hours) of 'cpuburn' and 'stress' from ports which =
run fine. Strangely there seem to be less reboots under heavy load but =
that may just be perception.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Could it be that under heavy load, the fans spin up and then the whole =
rig is actually cooler?
>=20
> Sounds weird, I know. But that was the very first thought that crossed =
my mind.
>=20
> Can't you just rent another one, transfer your data and then cancel =
the contract on the first?
>=20
> That way, you really get a different rig ;-)
>=20

That's an interesting idea. I have loaded coretemp and monitored CPU =
temp during the stress tests (which is pretty stable) but could be =
something else on the board.

Transferring to new box is a good idea, unfortunately they have sold out =
(and have a huge backlog) but hopefully this will sort itself out =
shortly. Other then the reboots (!) it's a really good box.

Paul

=20