Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:07:52 +1100
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI to FreeBSD

A little correction for the sake of the archives...

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 06:34:29AM +1100, aunty wrote:
[...]
> What I did was this. After installing FreeBSD and

choosing DES, and then installing

> most of the ports I
> wanted (because some ports create users/groups) I copied across the
> BSDI master.passwd with a different name, and added group 100 user to
> the groups file because I knew all the BSDI users had that group.
>
> Then I used vipw with a good editor (defaulting to act on the installed
[...]

In this prior post I left out the bit about installing DES, which is
essential for compatibility with the BSDI passwords! Do that before
ports, e.g. build ssh _after_ installing DES or else it'll just reject
everyone's passwords.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-