Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2021 21:13:02 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        Klaus =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
Cc:        Klaus =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCchemann?= via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:43:57 +0200
Klaus K=FCchemann via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:

>=20
> > Am 28.03.2021 um 19:13 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>:
> > ?.. Virtually any alternative arm64 system that
> > runs freebsd at all is a superior choice over the Rpi family. =20
>=20
> :-), 2 years ago I would have said that you?re right?. the times they are=
 a changing , scoobidoo...

 And yet RPI clock support is still non-existant which is required to
have proper SoC support for any kind of use (video, audio, any proper
spi or i2c support and of power usage reduction etc ...)

>=20
> > Anything
> > else will have better support from the freebsd developers including,
> > especially, the professional developers who are paid by companies to
> > support freebsd on arm/arm64.
>=20
> your paid colleagues support aarch64 in general, RPI4 is aarch64.

 And any other SoC benefits from that developement too.

> You vastly underestimate your other colleagues who developed special rpi4=
-drivers&hacks !
>=20
> >  Nobody is paying anybody to support
> > freebsd on rpi, and consequently all you get in the way of support is
> > half-baked theories and anecdotal reports from other people struggling
> > to use an rpi with freebsd.
>=20
> Rpi4 is "full-baked?-supported :-) , 8GB RAM, genet, pcie(USB 3.0) ,
> Supports JTAG, netboot etc. , it never crashed for me the last months/yea=
rs.
> While some drivers still missing, that?s also the case for other boards.
> As a ?power to serve?-cheap-board it`s fully supported, no problems (sinc=
e the beginning of the 1st cpu-hack)!

 lol

> > If you're looking to save every penny possible and are willing to put
> > up with endless frustration and things not working, get an rpi.  If you
> > want a usable arm64 computer that runs freebsd, get anything else.
> >=20
> you mean the missing documentation-frustration?
> While there?s even a little docs available, but e.g. Crowston didn?t need=
 docs, he used JTAG :-) Ha Ha=20

 The day I have to use JTAG to write a driver for one platform is the
day I'll stop working on this platform.

> For still  missing drivers the documentation is in other BSDs or tux.(e.g=
.  genet -driver was based on other BSD-driver).

 That's not documentation.
 I shouldn't have to read Linux source code to write a driver for
FreeBSD.

> I didn?t save every penny, have RK3388, RK3399 and some other archs, even=
 Risc-V.
> None of the other boards can be considered as ?SMOOTHLY? working because =
of paid developers,
> Long list of examples available , but that`not the topic.

 Well, no, it is the topic.

> Some people(and developers) didn?t understand the closed source environme=
nt of rpi-firmware. ( and other things like u-boot,eeprom)...

 What is there to understand ? You have blobs, they sometimes works,
they sometimes doesn't and since it's closed source there is nothing
you can do about it.

> That?s why we are here and do support the RPI4 by full-baked theories, an=
ecdotal reports, mystical patches and extraordinary configuration-hints. Ha=
 Ha :-)