Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:27:32 +0300
From:      "Gelu G. Lupas" <gelu@kolozsvar.ro>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipnat and gif tunnels

I'm using ipnat and have added NAT rules on a gif device. However, NAT does
not seem to work on that device unless I ipnat -C and the ipnat -f
/etc/ipnat.rules again. This happened after the gif device mangle in STABLE,
worked fine in 4.3-RELEASE. My guess is that the gif device is created *after*
the ipnat rules are set on it (ipnat starts from rc.network and gif tunnels
from rc.network6). Is there any way to fix this decently? (like no ugly rc.d
script to ipnat -C and then ipnat -f /etc/ipnat.rules again).

Also if I want to tunnel IPv4 in IPv4 and use rc.conf to do that, I have to
compile my kernel with IPv6 support and enable_ipv6="YES" in rc.conf. I think
this is total bullshit, why would I want to bloat my kernel with IPv6 if I just
want to use IPv4 in IPv4 tunneling? Is there any chance this will get fixed in
the future? 4.4-RELEASE?