Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:28:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Constant panics on 4.1-STABLE!

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > IIRC, it is a 700 MHz Athlon with PC133 Memory. 700/133 =F5.26
> > I am not AMD CPU aware, but such divisor would be unusual for Intel CPU=
> > and the only way not to overclock the CPU (using 5.5) would be to
> > underclock it (using 5.0), or to use the PC133 memory as PC100 and set
> > factor to 7.
>=20
> K7s run a 200MHz FSB, and they decouple the memory bus with a FIFO=20
> in the northbridge.  There's an extra cycle or so of latency in there,=20
> IIRC, but the point being that you can't draw this conclusion. 8)

Thanks for the explanation. This looks just magic and for sure an idiot I
am to still prefer Intel CRA^H^HPUs for stability. :-)

Btw, if I had a system that experienced such a problem, I would configure
the thing for the magic FIFO to simply divide the thing by a integer
value. Could be 2 there with memory used as PC100. The simplest, the less=
=20
risky to trigger hardware bugs, in my paranoid opinion. ;-)

  G=E9rard.