Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:30:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Syslog.conf question

Hi,
	I'm messing around with upsd (it's in xperiment on the CD), with
my SmartUPS. And it's working fine. Other than the annoying:

Jul 30 15:05:06 horton upsd[427]: apc_tune: negative response:    NO

message. Which is a back handed way of saying, communications is ok,
isn't it?

Anyway. I want all messages from it to go to /var/log/upsd.log instead
of /var/log/messages.

I started by changing it's facility from LOG_DAEMON to LOG_LOCAL3,
but that didn't do it (the *.notice in syslogd.conf keeps sending it
to messages).

So next, after reading (ok maybe not closely enough) the syslog.conf
man page, I put at the bottom of the file:

!upsd
*.* 			/var/log/upsd.log

But messages still go to /var/log/messages. I kill -HUP'd and killed
and restarted syslogd to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
	Paul.

--
I now leave, not knowing when or whether ever I may return, with a task
before me greater than that which rested upon Washington.  Without the