Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:52:48 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   non-serial modems

I started to install FreeBSD on a new PC and then discovered that
the internal modem I had that was "almost" recognised by FreeBSD
is in fact a "software" modem (which is what I assume people are
referring to when they talk about a "winmodem"--the card is basically
a "telephone adaptor" and all the modem work is done by software
on the CPU).

Hunting through the archives I saw some references to a USR card
that was actually a full modem, but I haven't seen any definite
information on other models that people have got to work.

So I went back to my friendly dealer and explained the problem to
them.  They said that as far as they know USR have stopped making
internal modems, and that the two external modems they generally
stock are a HP USB modem, and an ACER (I think) parallel-port
modem.

So the questions are:

	Does anyone know any internal modems currently on the
	market that work?  (I'd really like to have fewer boxes
	on my desk if I can...)

	Does anyone know whether USB or parallel modems work
	with FreeBSD (and how to configure them into things
	like tip, UUCP, ...)?

Thanks,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319