Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:39:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        daren@partners-dsi.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: struct in sigaltstack wrong??

In article <010c01be508f$f2497b80$ca98f026@partnersdsi.com>,
Daren R. Sefcik <daren@partners-dsi.com> wrote:
> While trying to compile the FWTK
> it would fail everytime at the /usr/include/sys/signal.h
> line 163 with:
>
> cc -O -pipe -I.. -D_SKEY_INTERNAL -c daemon.c
> In file included from daemon.c:14:
> /usr/include/sys/signal.h:163: parse error before `size_t'
> /usr/include/sys/signal.h:163: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or
> union
> /usr/include/sys/signal.h:165: parse error before `}'
> *** Error code 1
>
> from the signal.h file line 163:
>
> /*
>  * Structure used in sigaltstack call.
>  */
> struct  sigaltstack {
>         char    *ss_sp;                 /* signal stack base */
>         size_t  ss_size;                /* signal stack length */
>         int     ss_flags;               /* SS_DISABLE and/or SS_ONSTACK */
>

> looking at the man page for sigaltstack it uses char & long & int
> I changed the size_t to long and the compile finished fine.
> Is the signal.h file wrong or is the FWTK wrong???

The work-around is to change FWTK to include <stddef.h> first.  But
that shouldn't be necessary.  I'd say the bug is in <signal.h> (or
<sys/signal.h>, which it includes).  To be standard conforming, the
<signal.h> header file should be self-sufficient.

Probably <sys/signal.h> should use _BSD_SIZE_T_ from <machine/ansi.h>
if it is defined, to keep from polluting the application's namespace
with size_t.  Bruce probably has a better answer.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken