Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:07:42 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Devin <dreamboy@aros.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE SMP Problem!

On 10 Sep 2003 23:42:24 -0600, in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you wrote:

>We currently have a Dual Athlon MP 2000+ Processor machine
>using an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard running the latest
>FreeBSD Stable source. What happened is the main drive in the
>machine decided to stop working so I put in a new hard drive
>and restore the system onto the machine using the restore command.
>I notice that now when the machine tries to boot up using the SMP kernel
>it gets to the point where it says "CPU #1 Launched" and then
>the machine reboots. I notice that if I boot the machine up
>with 1 processor kernel it boots just fine. After looking at
>the dmesg output it appears that a normal kernel would=20
>normally do:
>
>Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
>Mounting root from ufs:da0s1a

How recent is your stable ?  Also, you should post something like this
to the stable list.

I am running=20
4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #1: Thu Sep 18

on a dual
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) MP 2000+ (1666.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin =3D "AuthenticAMD"  Id =3D 0x662  Stepping =3D 2

=46eatures=3D0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,P=
GE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
  AMD Features=3D0xc0480000<MP,AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>

Do you have INVARIANTS defined in your kernel by chance ?=20

	---Mike