Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:21:49 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unrelated: mountpoints and backup strategies

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:11:40PM -0700, Crist J . Clark wrote:

I want to backup my main drive to the zip.

|   # dump -ua0f /zip/root.0.dmp /

Ah, yes, this is starting to look like a solution.

| > I don't have a tape, and i don't want to dump all of /etc and /home, since a
| > lot of that would be unnecessary for a system restore, and also
| > wastes time.
|
| Uhhh... /etc is one of the most critical things to backup. That's what

I meant I didn't want *all* of /etc, like the periodic directory, which
looks huge, and could just be reinstalled if necessary.

| > So far, I dump the output of pkg_info to my home directory.
|
| Backup the whole /var/db/pkg.

Is it easier to restore a system that way?
I thought the best way was to have a list ready with all the previously
installed packages on it.  Especially since all of the info in /var/db/pkg
is created by the installation procedure anyway.

| This is how I used to backup my last office system to Jaz. Still got
| the scripts if you are interested.

Yes, please!  :)

jcm
--