Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 1995 12:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        Paul Vinciguerra <PVinci@ix.netcom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 install "upgrade" question?

Hi;

On Sun, 9 Apr 1995, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > Is the 2.1 installation going to have an option to "upgrade" from 2.0R
> > (the CD)?  Since the 2.0 install assumed no investment in Freebsd (it
> > just layed down the image and didn't care how much time you spent
> > setting up 1.x).  If you want this to be really user friendly, we need
> > an option to lay down only the "delta". All serious packages offer
> > "upgrade from 1.x"
> > "upgrade from 2.0R"
> > "new installation"
> >
> > If this can't be done in time, I suggest an easy to find doc to walk a
> > current FreeBSD'er through doing an "upgrade"
>
> This is such an sensible thing to suggest.  Any idea where we find the
> time to do it ?

	This brings up an important question. If a user has multiple
disks dedicated to freebsd, can he just *centralize* all the *stock
distribution* stuff in one disk and use the other disks or even *partitions*
on the same disk to keep the stuff he has alread installed?

	I understand ( at least i think i do )  that the filesystem
structure changed between 1.1 and 2.0, but will it change between 2.0 and
2.1? The 2.0 and snap installs *appear* to assume that any disk it finds
is either:

	a. not going to be touched, but might be visited by FreeBSD in
	   the future ( ie dosfs ) or;

	b. FreeBSD property, and thereby subject to newfs.

	upon writing this it seems that it should be possible to just
tell the current install ( 2.0 and SNAP 3-22 and previous ) to leave the
old FreeBSD partitions alone, and then hand modify /etc/fstab later.

	In order to make use of the stuff on your old drives or partitions
you would need to grab the correct libc..but that is easy enuf to do, u
could even copy it from your own setup previous to eliminating it's
existence ( but if u are like me, u would probably forget to.. :-) )

So the dm1,000,000 question is:

	WILL the 2.0 and 2.1 Filesystem formats be compatible???

	If it is, then this will simply be a documentation issue that
could probably be covered in a few short paragraphs....

	if not, then binary upgrade will continue to be the dramatic
trauma it has always been.. i am on number...mmm 8 i think, counting
386bsd. it usually takes me about three days of nonstop work to get it
mostly finished. Now that the nca driver works, and *if* i can ever sort
out why i *cant* get slip to work on my 3-22 box, i will then ftp the
bindist to my qic-80 tape and then do it from there, i hope! That might
still take 3 days, but it wont require near as much of *my* time ...

> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
> 'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'
> => 'no rude people are relevant'

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life