Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:42:04 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, pol@leissner.se
Subject:    Secure logging in to FreeBSD -Reply

Peter,
	Some firewalls feature a time-based challenge, that might be useful in a situation like this.

	The user in the field carries a little computer the size of a credit card. When you attempt to go through the
firewall, it sends you a challenge code.

	You punch the challenge code into your card, and it returns a second code. You send that second code back to the
firewall and it allows you in.

	The nice thing about this system, is that the user doesn't know the hash key, so cannot give it out. Also, if
challenge card is PIN protected, and turns itself off after a few minutes of non-use. If it is lost, it is unusable
without the PIN.

																		[RC]
(The firewall I saw this on was a morningstar. (A 386DX40 running customized NetBSD?.)

>>> Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se> 04/23/97 07:26am >>>
I'm looking for a product which will give me secure access to a FreeBSD-server. Some kind of one-time-passwords or
something to allow remote users in without having to open telnet wide for anyone.

Anyone have any pointers? Preferably to solutions that wont cost me a fortune. And, if possible, pointers to companies in
Sweden that sell those products.

Thanks for your time!

Peter Olsson    pol@leissner.se