Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:35:10 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Jamie Clark <jamie@erinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Opinions on which Tape Drive to Buy?

>I'm in the market for a tape backup system for both FreeBSD and Windoze
>95.  I'm looking for at least 4 GB uncompressed capacity at a street
>price for the unit (not necessarily including interface card) around
>$375.  What models have you had good experiences in installing,
>operating, and with its technical support among those in the market.
>I've never bought a tape drive for a PC.  Though, I'm experienced with
>the major PC peripherals regarding installation and configuring.
>The system is an Intel Pentium 200 MHz with 32 MB.  Windoze space is a
>little over 5 GB and FreeBSD space is about 1.8 GB.  I do have plans of
>increasing disk space with another disk to allow keeping uptodate with
>FreeBSD-Stable.

I'd recommend you spend a little more on the drive, and a lot less on
the tapes.  In the deal, getting a far better drive.

The best decent-priced drives you can get are 4mm DAT drives (DLT
drives might be better, but they're WAY expensive).  If you're super
concerned about cost, you might consider getting a referbished one.
Although there are probably several sources for these, one you might
check out is http://www.insight.com/.  Check out their blue plate
specials.

4mm DAT drives basically come in two flavors these days: DDS-2 and
DDS-3.  DDS-2 is 4GB uncompressed, 8GB compressed, with the 120m DDS-2
DAT tapes.  You can get these tapes for $15-$20 if you shop around.
Backup speed is approximately .5MB/sec.  DDS-3 is 12GB uncompressed,
24GB compressed, on a 125m DDS-3 tape.  I paid about $25 per tape for
these.  Backup speed is roughly 1-1.5MB/sec.  You'll find variations
on these numbers, but that's a good start.

Calculate how many tapes you'd like to have in an ideal world to keep
rotating backups on all your computers, then calculate the cost of the
drive *and* the tapes, and compare it to one of the cheaper drives.

Insight has a refurbished Conner/Seagate (Archive, actually) DDS-2
drive with 4GB/8GB for around $450.  I've had a drive similar to this
for quite a while, and it has worked great.  If you can dig a little
deeper into your budget, they might still have some refurbished
Seagate (Archive Python) DDS-3 drives left for ~$665.  I just bought
one of these, and it's an awesome drive.  So, don't just look at the
specials they have listed, hit the specials search page and type in
variations on "DDS" "DDS2" "DDS-2" "DDS3", etc....

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.