Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:03:00 -0800
From:      Gordon Broom <gjbroom@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

> On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 13:01, Gord Broom wrote:
>
> > I'm about to start playing with fc-cache as well, to see if I can
> > diagnose what's wrong with my system (I reinstalled Moz -DWITHOUT_XFT,
> > and can surf again, but there's obviously something else afoot).  I
>
> I had a problem that sounded almost exactly the same as this.  Phoenix
> and Mozilla as of 0.5 and 1.2 would only run if compiled without Xft.
>
> When Mozilla crashed it died in Xftlockface().
>
> I found in my case some leftover freetype2 files in the /usr/X11R6
> directorys (specifically check and delete if present
> /usr/X11R6/include/freetype2).  Freetype2 now installs into /usr/local,
> but must have installed into /usr/X11R6 at some time in the past.

I found only (empty) directories under /usr/X11R6/include/freetype2, and
deleted them.  I wonder if any of the autoconf macros check for the existence
of a directory instead of a file. Hmm....

> I deleted those files, rebuilt Freetype2, Xft2 and Mozilla and now it
> works well.

I rebuilt freetype2 before I deleted these directories, I will now rebuild Xft
(I don't have an Xft2 package) and mozilla.  If mozilla continues to crash, I
will add the "user_pref("fonts.xft.enabled",false)" line to my prefs.js file
as Tom Lislegaard <toli@proact.no> suggested in <20030227114532.V385-100000@tom
.internal.proact.no>.

Hopefully I'm getting closer.  It still feels like voodoo debugging though :-)

> Carl.

Gord.