Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2007 04:16:39 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        PowerMan <powerman1st@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: a simple question about snapshot, thanks for reply

PowerMan wrote:
> I guess you mean that:
>
> The snapshots of 6.2 stable released in June 2007
> have been patched ,
> I can also download patches from http://security.freebsd.org/patches/
> <http://security.freebsd.org/patches/>;
> and apply them to the offical release manually.
>
> Is that right?
>
> thanks.
>
> 2007/7/29, Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu
> <mailto:youshi10@u.washington.edu>>:
>
>     PowerMan wrote:
>     > Dear sir,
>     >      My first English is not English, please forgive me if I
>     made some bad
>     > words
>     > or expression.
>     >
>     >       I have learned from your web site http://www.freebsd.org,
>     > that version 6.2 is released in 15 Jan, 2007.
>     >
>     >       Is that a stable release?
>     >
>     >        If it is, why there is 6.2-stable snapshots released in
>     May and June
>     > 2007?
>     >
>     > Should all snapshots be released before a final stable release ?
>     >
>     > should no snapshots be released after a final stable release?
>     >
>     > I may not express myself very well, I wish you can understand me.
>     >
>     > thanks.
>
>         That's an official release. A few patched stable releases have
>     been
>     done since then to fix security issues, as well as MFC (merged from
>     current) modifications (new drivers added, etc).
>
>         Also, snapshots of the managed CVS branches are done periodically
>     (legacy, stable, current), which you may or may not have seen.
>
>         Patches are made to all supported releases, until their
>     respective
>     EoL (end of life) dates, so that's why there are periodic releases.
>
>     Cheers,
>     -Garrett

    Yes, but those are source patches which:

1. Require a source tree.
2. Require a limited (one app and maybe small list of dependencies) to
major rebuild (extensively used lib that has a lot of dependencies).

More current snapshots have those patches built into them.

Cheers,
-Garrett

PS Please CC questions@ and bottom-post :).