Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:38:39 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, admin@delanet.com
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 40gig ide drives

Do you actually have the file "/dev/wd0s1e"?  If not, you should use
"/dev/MAKEDEV wd0s1e" to create it.  I just had sort of similar (if that
actually makes any sense) problems with a 34GB drive.  There was a thread a
few days ago about having problems mounting a drive.  See if you still have
those messages, or search through the archives for them as they make prove
useful.  The subject of those messages was:

"I'm at a loss for a way to mount this second ..."

this useful reply from Chris Wasser (cwasser@v-wave.com):

*****
I had a similar problem with a 37GB maxtor drive under 3.x and solved it
by using the b0ffb0ff flags on the wd driver, after that I was able to
newfs and mount it no problem, ie:

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xb0ffb0ff
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0xb0ffb0ff
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
*****

and then this follow-up from Greg Lehey:

*****
Right, that's the recommended workaround with the wd driver.  Bit 12
(0x1000) in each of the halves of the flags sets LBA mode.  This is
probably a good idea anyway.
*****

HTH.

Oscar

At 10:28 AM 4/18/00 -0400, Delanet Administration, you wrote:
>I'm having a little trouble getting FreeBSD 3.4 stable to use a 40gig
>maxtor HD.
>
>boot message shows:
>Apr 18 04:50:34 wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
>Apr 18 04:50:34 mysql /kernel: wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 94098U8>
>Apr 18 04:50:34 mysql /kernel: wd0: 39082MB (80041248 sectors), 79406
>cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
>
>Fdisk from sysinstall shows:
>4982 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 80035830 sectors
>
>Label from sysinstall shows:
>Disk: wd0       Partition name: wd0s1   Free: 80035767 blocks (39079MB)
>
>newfs works fine, however the drive fails to mount with the following:
>Error mounting /dev/wd0s1e on /ide : Invalid argument
>
>console shows the error message of 'Unknown major/minor for devtype'
>
>I know the drive works on the hardware as I have an identical machine
>running NT where I took the drive from. Bios does report the
>size/geometry incorrectly. Seems the bios has a max limit of 65535 for
>cylinders and 16 heads however from the little I found in the archives I
>was under the impression BSD got the geometry from the drive itself and
>ignored the bios?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Please cc me in replies as I'm no longer
>on the list.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>Stephen Comoletti