Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:50:05 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: converting drivers to dynamic memory...

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Dec 19:
> > yep, I think that would be a great addition...  IMO, once devfs has
> > finally been completed, we will still need a minor number of the void *
> > (I happen to like the name dev_info_t), the minor so that we know what
> > part of the device driver we are accessing...  else we would need to
> > allocate a bunch of small structs like:
> > struct {
> > 	int option;
> > 	struct devicedata data;
> > }
> >
> > which would be really wasteful of precious memory resources...
>
> No.  I take your point about wanting to have multiple DEVFS entries
> referencing a single softc structure though; you might want to have
> something like:
>
> struct devfs_softc_reference
> {
> 	void	*softc;
> 	int	token;
> }
>
> inside the devfs_node structure.

yep, that's what I'd like...

> Forget the btree model; it's not going to fly in the face of a direct
> reference approach.

I will once devfs and the driver interface supports it...  but devfs and
the interface doesn't even support passing a token yet (well, it does if
you call minor number a token)... I just proposed a simple stop gap
meassure that would get the ball rolling..

when did I ever say that we should in the long run choose using a
btree over the "correct" way to do it??  I only said it would require
an interface change (which hasn't even started to happen, sure the
devfs code is in place, but actually USING it to pass tokens hasn't
even begun), which I stated, I wasn't going to do... but I proposed
using the btree method as a stepping stone to get to the final
destination...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD