Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:09:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions list <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall doesn't

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Jeff Roberts wrote:

> I finally got 2.1.7 installed on my secondary disk.  I chose the
> X-developer can.  I also, at the end, did *not* add any packages, because
> the last time I had gzip errors that caused the installation to fail (and
> I had to start over).  I thought that the X-developer can would include an
> actual installation of X on the machine, and the X directories are there,
> but it doesn't boot X on default (I'm used to SCO OpenServer, which did).

This is true.  You have to either login and use 'startx' or:

. add xdm to your /etc/rc.local
. add '/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon' to /etc/ttys

Whichever works for you.  I found, with the Mach64 server, it didn't like
being run from ttys, thus the rc.local option.  Both will give you a X
login prompt and use your ~/.xsession file for session prefs.  startx will
use ~/.xinitrc.

> I tried to use /stand/sysinstall to configure the X stuff, but the program
> doesn't seem to work.  It says to select the option, but pushing number
> and letter keys does absolutely nothing.  Pushing TAB moves the brackets
> back to EXIT, but the RETURN key doesn't even seem to work.  The only keys
> besides TAB that do anything are the the various functions keys -- but all
> they do is dump me to the command line.  I tried man and apropos for the
> sysinstall program, but that gave me nothing.  Does it accept an argument?
> All my attempts to pass arguments failed.

Odd that sysinstall wouldn't work right.  Were you running this from the
console?

You can run the X setup program yourself by running
'/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup' or the old text-mode one by running
'/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config'.

Hope this helps.