Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 08:43:41 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modload doesn't work when OBJFORMAT=elf?

In article <19980603132737.53379@follo.net>,
Eivind Eklund  <eivind@yes.no> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 12:40:58PM +0300, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
> > BTW, why not make binutils supporting both a.out-i386-freebsd and
> > elf32-i386? They seem to be able to do this, though this would
> > somewhat increase their size, but not by much
>
> We use an old and hacked version of binutils for a.out, because the
> binutils maintainers haven't integrated our changes,

Well, to be fair, I don't think our changes (and NetBSD's, from which
ours were derived) were ever sent to the binutils maintainers.  So
we can't blame them.  It's moot at this point anyway.  Our version
is years out of date, and hardly resembles the current version of
binutils.

> and we need them (for shared libs, IIRC).  All of this is second
> hand; I've not actually read the code...

That's the main obstacle -- that binutils doesn't have any support
for i386/a.out shared libraries.  There are also many, many smaller
problems.

I made a couple of stabs at fixing the a.out support in binutils,
and gave up in frustration each time.  Binutils is really hard to
work with.  It's not really a program, it's a way of life. :-)