Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Henry Stapp <hstapp@redchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with stty

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Henry Stapp wrote:

> The Problem:
> I can't seem to get the serial port to work right.
>
> The setup:
> I've got a three wire serial cable hooked up to COM1 (cuaa0). The other end
> is hooked up to an AIX (:P) host. I know the cable is working, 'cuz I get a
> login prompt on it from the AIX host on it when I plug it into a PC. I've
> been trying various settings on cuaa0, cuaia0 and cuala0 using "cu -l
> /dev/cuaa0" to connect to the port. I saw the prompt _once_ when I
> unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, so I know the port works, it's
> just not set up quite right.

So, you're trying to set up the PC as a hardwired terminal from AIX?

When you plug it in, hit <enter> a few times.  If you got an intelligible
login prompt once, then the settings are right (usually 9600 8-N-1).

See your AIX manual for setting up terminals.

> What I've tried:
> I've tried just about every setting I can think of, including clocal and
> -crtscts. The three devices for one port are kind of confusing, I'm not
> even sure half the time if what I'm doing is having any effect.... do I
> need to reboot for changes in cuala0 to work?

Use /dev/cuaa0 for serial comm.  The others are lock devices which don't
help you.