Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:54:46 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>, <Mark.Andrews@nominum.com>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

At 04:50 PM 1/18/2001 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:

>         The simple response is that there's no way to determine
> definitively where
>the mail is supposed to go. 'supercom.ca' is a great example. There is no
>way to determine where mail to that domain is supposed to go, and it's much
>better that it not work than simply guess.
>
>         Let me put this question another way: How can you tell the difference
>between a 'permanently' misconfigured site and one with a transient error?
>Do you want mail to be sent to the wrong place because of transient errors?

Yes, it certainly makes sense to me. One problem is explaining it to
customers.  What I _dont_ understand is the different behavior.  If more
sites were running the same rev of BIND that FreeBSD does now, then the
offending site would fix the issue.  i.e. why does LINUX and its sendmail
and BIND work when FreeBSD and its BIND do not... Or why is LINUX 'broken'
and FreeBSD being more 'correct'.

         ---Mike