Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2013 07:44:57 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS buying suggestion

On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 23:23 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> Computer power supplies are not as sensitive as they once were, and
> the switchover time of standby UPSs is almost certainly adequate.

I don't own an UPS. Sometimes we've got blackouts here, long enough to
effect a CRT monitor, but not always the computer is effected too. I
wonder if it's possible to switch power off and on manually, very fast
at a power board, without turning off the computer. I don't want to test
it, but it could be possible.

> Amusingly, the Smart-UPS provides a cleaner sine wave than comes out
> of the wall.

Filters?! I didn't read the link. Mains are polluted by lots of crap,
e.g. by all the switching power supplies ;). I should mention that I was
an audio and video engineer a long long time ago. IMO the quality of the
power from the mains is much more important for audio and video, than
for computer and even for audio and video it's significance often seems
to be overrated. Likely that the capacitors in the power supplies of my
home studio, that are much older than 20 years, are dried out, but I
never repaired an old power supply, because there are no audible
effects.

Sure, the quality of the power should be good, but IMO it sometimes is
overrated, just to have another value that can be used for advertisings.

2 Cents,
Ralf