Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:56:03 -0400
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL 3 needed but how?

Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>> Sounds like you'll have to do some debugging.  Try adding --verbose to
>> mysql_args in /etc/rc.conf, and see the other advice in
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/starting-server.html
>
> gw# /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --verbose
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
> STOPPING server from pid file /var/db/mysql/gw.sznet.pid
> 110326 16:44:14  mysqld ended
>
> The data directory is correct. I don't understand why it is stopping
> immediatelly after startup.
>
> Trying the other way around (FreeBSD 6.4 on a virtual machine)
>>
>> It may be something really simple, like the mysql data directory not
>> being where the server expects it to be.

No matter which version of mysql you install,
you have to run this command
mysql_install_db --user=mysql
on the command line to create mysql's
control databases first.
Then restart the mysql service.
To verify mysql is operational issue this command.
mysqladmin version
Them run your restore DB job pointing at your old bkup file.
That should recreate your db definition and populate the db
with your data in sync with the version of mysql your running.