Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:47:09 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Redundancy...

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:03:04PM -0500, Drew J. Weaver thus spoke:

> On a side note, make sure that the ISP that you co-locate has gas
> powered generators as well as backups protecting your servers,
> or it wont really do you much good to have it hosted out of some
> guy's basement =)

Gas powered generators are typically on the small side.  Serious
generators are typically diesel. To me the best way is to find an
ISP who is co-located inside a carrier [we've done that with our
ISP], and rely on humoungous UPS and the 1MW+ Cat generators.  Not
the cheapest but IMO the best.  Prices aren't the cheapest - but
not that bad either.  eg a 1 RU server with 1.5Mbit guaranteed
bandwith on our 100MB uplink to the OC192 - is $850 month.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how
critical the servers are.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com