Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:52:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Boisvert <alex@gel.usherb.ca>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD port of JDK

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> I want to create a FreeBSD port for JDK 1.1.? based on whatever
> the latest and greatest set of (manually applied) patches is.
>
> Then you could create the corresponding FreeBSD package, making it
> easy to quickly get the JDK up and running on other FreeBSD machines
> (this assumes you already have the source from Sun of course).

This is a good idea.

> Can someone recommend what the 'latest and greatest' set of FreeBSD
> patches is (and which version of JDK they are for)? Any gotchas?

I have JDK 1.1.2 running on FreeBSD here.  I'll make the diffs widely
available soon (1-2 weeks).

The only real "gotcha" is that Sun won't let you get an old version of its
JDK source distribution.  (ie. anything before 1.1.5 now)  This is based
on my personal experience trying to get 1.1.1 after 1.1.2 was released.

Maybe you'll have better luck than I, or your pretty-please are prettier
;-)

Alex.