Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:22:17 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        jdunn@aquezada.com
Cc:        lonewolf@apotheosis.za.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd won't do X11 forwarding

From: "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@aquezada.com>
[snips]
> I'm not running tcp_wrappers. Is it necessary? Also, here's my sshd_config.
> I see that "X11Fowarding" is "on".

I think you'll need a different sshd_config if xauth authentication
isn't working.

I haven't actually checked the code to see how it really works, but will
look this evening.

> Also, to the person who suggested I run xdm, I want to be able to do it
> without running X on the box all the time; it's a box with neither very
> much memory or > CPU to spare, so I'm trying to cut down on the amount
> of things running on it at one time.

I feel your pain  :-)

Remember, xdm can run without a local X server.  It's useful with X servers
which run on other systems in '-indirect' mode or from ssh X11 forwarding. (!)

You'd need to comment the local entry out of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
to keep xdm from running a local server and session.

This way, you can keep memory requirements much lower most of the time
while allowing the execution of X client applications from remote X servers.

If this makes SSH/xauth work too then it's a pretty handy configuration
for that as well

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net