Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:30:02 -0400
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java.lang.NullPointerException: java.lang.String.getBytes(String.java:811)

- --On Tuesday, December 19, 2006 09:27:08 -0800 Greg Lewis
<glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:58:14PM -0800, Nick Johnson wrote:
>> Just a guess, but there's a version of getBytes that takes a character set
>> name as an argument, which would probably throw a NullPointerException in
>> the event that the argument you passsed it was a null string.
>>
>> Take a look at
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#getBytes(java.
>> lang.String)  and see if there's a chance that your HttpServletWrapper line
>> 346 could be  passing null for the character set name.
>
> Even better, look at String.java, line 811 (per the stack trace):
>
>        if (charsetName == null) throw new NullPointerException();
>
> Makes it pretty clear :)

Clear for someone that has a clue about Java ... :)

'k, just unzip'd src.zip so that I can look at the code there ... now, you show
java 1.4.2 above for this, so obviously this problem will exist if I downgrade
from 1.5.x ...

The server used to run on FreeBSD 4.x, 32bit + jdk 1.4.2 ... it is now on
FreeBSD 6.x, 64bit and diablo 1.5.0 ... could/would any of those changes have
affected anything?