Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:13:26 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Move passwd info from 3.5-S to 4.1-S

I have FreeBSD 3.5-Stable running.
Am preparing a new hard disk with FreeBSD 4.1-Stable to replace it.

To move the user account information (passwords, User IDs, Initial Group ID)
I plan to move these files:

   /etc/passwd
   /etc/master.passwd
   /etc/pwd.db
   /etc/spwd.db

I will boot the 3.5 system, mount the 4.1 hard drive root at /mnt/oroot
and "cp /etc/passwd /mnt/oroot/etc/passwd".  With this I hope to avoid
any peculiar "file locking" of these files once the 4.1 system is running.

Two questions:
  1) Are these (4) files sufficient or are other files needed?
     (I realize that /etc/group is also important)

  2) Can these files simply be moved from a 3.5 system to a 4.1 system,
     or is there a change of file format?

I read the online handbook, and the section regarding users did not
describe this situation.  Also perused the man pages.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat